We've all be incredibly busy this month with home improvement, preparing to move, moving, and school. So for our latest challenge, we have barely more than a week to complete! But this can be as simple as folding a piece of paper and taking a single photo with our phone's camera, so maybe we can complete the challenge by the end of the month anyway.
The challenge? Take at least one piece of paper.
Turn it into something interesting.
There are plenty of ideas on our Pinterest board for inspiration. Ready? Set. Go!
May challenge: Decorate a candle holder or vase. My excuse for not posting this sooner is that I didn't have any flowers to put in it. Mom suggested pencils a while back, so I finally just gave in and did that. I came up with the idea to make a beaded "skirt" for the vase early on... leave it to me to make something simple into a REAL challenge! This time, I joined mom and Jodie in one of their "Crafternoons". I used some wire around the top, to hold it all in place. The beading itself took about an hour longer than both mom and Jodie's projects. I was feeling upset about that for a bit, but I think it was worth it, in the end.
Looking back at it now, I would have liked to put the beading all the way to the bottom. But I've also been thinking it might be cute to have some of those colored "stones" in there instead.
I worked at the Coeur d'Alene Resort in housekeeping for about 8 months. The mini-bar in the rooms included these cute bear-shaped jars with gummy bears inside. They weren't eaten often, and the jars were left in the rooms even less often, but I managed to collect two of them before I left. I don't remember exactly what inspired me to turn them into little rainbows. I initially thought I wanted to use sand, but mom suggested salt and food coloring instead, and I jumped at the idea. I had fun pouring salt into bowls and trying to come up with a variety of colors. The order I poured them in was pretty much random, based on what color I thought would go nice next to the last one I put in.
Salt... salt EVERYWHERE. And SO much salt left over. The first pass, I screwed up, so now I have about 2 cups of colored salt, and another cup of white salt, sitting in containers on my counter. I'll use it up eventually, right? They're a pretty solid weight. I thought they'd make cute book-ends.
April's challenge was to make Artist's Trading Cards.
I've been procrastinating on this one because I didn't want to post it until I sent out the cards. I've been procrastinating on that one even longer, because I didn't know what to say in a letter when I sent them. So I'll just go ahead and post it now.
I call the series "Welcome to Spring".
Mom and I went to the dollar store to look for inspiration, and found these cute stickers. I used who-knows-how-many-years-old homemade paper for the background. Mom was surprised I even remembered we had it!
There were 4 sets of similar-but-different stickers in the pack. I mix-and-matched from them to come up with two designs, and mirrored them on half the cards. The corner is stitched with a little design, just to add a little pazaz.
It's not really one color... but it's primarily yellow, pink, and green, so I call it good.
Mom already has hers. I'll send the others out... soon... ish... ;)
I have been silent for a while, but it's because I've been going through a lot of life changes recently. Also, I've been procrastinating on editing photos. I don't know why, it only took 10 minutes for everything ;) And I didn't want to figure out how to make the posts all fun and fancy.
But I HAVE been doing (most) of the monthly challenges the last few months. (Missed out on June, unfortunately.) So incoming in the next few days are a whole FOUR AuralArtists projects! The two from April and May, and two extras!
Today, I start with an extra way back from March. About a week after mom and I did the clothespin challenge, I went back to visit, and we played with some melty beads.
I made a rainbow, for my "colors" theme. A sunflower, because it was spring. And a cat that resembled my clothespin kitty!