The instructions we used recommended putting wax paper in the shirt to keep the bleach from bleeding through to the back of the shirt. I've got wax paper in my sleeve here, but it wiggled around a lot. So we ended up getting a big piece of cardboard to put inside the shirt. Besides helping with the bleeding problem, it gave us a good surface on which to draw.
Once I had the right kind of bleach on my shirt, the process went quickly. The black of my shirt bleached into this rusty color.
I've got one heart with a "D" in it for Dale. Another with a "J" for my girls. And of course, a heart on my sleeve. Here's the finished product:
As a bonus, I signed my "work of art" at the bottom.
OK, girls ... you're up!